10.27.2008

My Dad

This is a post about my Dad! He is the best dad in the world! He is a caring person, a hard worker, a level-headed fellow, a funny guy, and a good advice-giver! His grandkids adore him, particularly his granddaughters, particularly Lettie! We enjoy going to the mountains to see him and my mom! He takes the kids on tractor rides, Kaboda rides, to "count cows" (even if the count does not matter), and fishing. He also likes to feed the baby cows, get vegetables out of his garden, and start marshmellow roasting fires with them.

One of my favorite memories is of him coming home from work, picking me up to buy a Brownie Chocolate drink in a can at the local camp store and then we would go to the spill-way of a local large pond and try to catch small eels. We would pick up the clumps of algae on the spill-way looking for them. Our plan was that once the eel got caught we would then put it into the can (they were teenie... like the size of a worm). We never caught an eel. I almost picked up a leech once, but never an eel. But the fun was in the trying!

We went fishing together often and we even caught a bat once, which was kind of a cool adventure. He was always doing projects and on most of them you could come along if you wanted to. He would also go for walks around the neighborhood and often I would go and he let me talk and talk and talk his head off. But he never seemed to mind.

Here are some pictures of my dad:

Hanging out at the family reunion with Callie!


For some reason the Kaboda always puts Callie to sleep, so grandpa wrapped her up in his jacket nice and warm!

Using his fishing pole to tickle the back of Nolan's neck so he thought he had a bug on him! This went on for quite awhile until Nolan caught on!


Who needs an oar when you have a 2x4! He was going to unplug the stand-pipe of the pond. I think he used a stick and a piece of cloth to plug the drain hole in the boat!


Giving Nolan and Lettie a ride!



This was last week at a pumpkin field!










My mom and dad with my kids and April's kids!


Walking with his little shadow, Lettie, in the corn maze in the mountains. Lettie dotes on her grandpa!


In case you have not heard, he was just diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Treatment should probably begin soon. Prayers are appreciated.
The crazy thing is, he is not sick! Those last 3 picture were taken just last week. He feels fine. He just had a knot suddenly come up on his neck and went to get it checked out. The only thing that kills me is that during the treatment he probably can not see the kids. I went up there last weekend with just Lettie and Jovie and Lettie spent most of the time with her grandpa. The next time Lettie sees him he will probably not be well, and I do not know how to explain it to her. But he is strong and will get through this!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Audra, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but you're right, he's strong, and he'll make it through this just fine. I remember him coming to pick me up for seminary, and letting me sleep all the way there. Your dad is a remarkable man! We for sure will be keeping him in our prayers. And in case you hadn't heard yet, Evan Wade passed away 2 days ago from a car accident. Pray for the Wade's, too, will you?

Katie said...

Of course he is in our prayers, as well as the rest of you. Love the pictures.

Tracy E. said...

Audra, I love to keep up with your wonderfil family throughthe blogs you leve. I am so sorry to read about your dad. From all the stories he is a strong and amazing man. Must be he raised you. Anyweay. Yes ill send thoughts and prayers. Missing yall think about you often can't wait to visit again. Love Tracy