1.08.2010

Rationalizing a Purchase

Here's the story-

So, Katie sends me an e-mail that says, "Are you interested?" I open it and it is a forwarded e-mail from the Blumenthal Theater (which is basically the company by which all plays are brought to Charlotte) that says: Special Pre-sale on Wicked Tickets.

This is not an e-mail that you forward. This is an e-mail that you open and then immediately call you sister-in-law and say: Oh my gosh! Pre-sale for Wicked tickets! Lets get on the computer and buy them now now now!

So, I call Katie and ask if she is going, she says she does not know, needs to talk to Chad. So, while waiting for her to call I look up the available tickets. The best seats are $125, the next best are $75. But for some reason on the opening night, even the best tickets are $75. THEN, if you buy 1 ticket on it's own you can sit in row E, but if you buy 2 tickets, you sit in row Z! So, what is a good sister-in-law to do? Throw the whole good sister-in-law thing out the window...

So, I buy my 5th row ticket and call Katie and say the next single ticket available is for row G in the center and she can go the same night as me if you wants! But we will obviously be sitting by our lonesomes. Yes, I felt like I terrible person... but I do not want to go if I have Row Z. I am weird like that. Which Katie already knows, so she probably just shakes her head and thinkg, "There she goes again!"

She said she just could not rationalize the purchase right now. And so I said, "Yeah, I figured I would cut back in some area to compensate for it." I say this with almost every big-ish purchase, but really, I never do it! But she was right. Truthfully, I do not need to be spending the money now either. So, I thought: What do I spend the most unnecessary $ on? I am determined I will cut back on something.

And then the answer came and I did not want to admit it... but... I LOVE fast food! And I have been so busy that I rationalize picking up a $1 burger on the way to work, or home, or to the distributors, or to the grocery store.... And not only does it take my $, it makes me "squishy" if you know what I mean!

So, I proclaimed to myself that in the New Year I would not eat fast food until May 19, when I go to Wicked. If I give in, I would sell my ticket. The problem is if I proclaim it only to myself, then I can change the "rules" at any time and no one would know.

So, now I am proclaiming it to you. The rules are simple. No fast food! Anything that I can acquire through the window of my car. And, no, that does not mean I will be going inside. No fast food "period". Pizza does not count, but we do not order pizza. We make it at our house. But if I go to someones house and they order Papa Johns I am still allowed to eat it. Pizza is not my weakness because I can not just order it and 1 min later have it and never have to get out of the comfort of my own car. Fast food... gone!!!

And yes, all the way until May 19, or this little beauty is going on Craigslist:


4 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm always trying to rationalize purchases saying I'll cut back on something else. Or I'll say I'm using my babysitting money, when I've actually already spent my babysitting money. Sigh. I'm trying to stay out of the drive-thru too - but for me it's diet dr pepper that I don't need to be spending my money on, or getting more addicted to. I figure if I can stay away for a couple of months I'll have saved myself about 20 bucks!

Katie said...

Chad did this with caffeine. He gave it up to join the YMCA - since he was spending at least a buck a day on it, it really did make a difference. But I think that now that he is eating out on BofA's dime quite often, he rationalizes buying it, because he isn't paying for it. I say I think because he doesn't like to talk about it :o)

Good for you Audra!! If it goes on Craigslist, I am going to buy it, and take lots of pictures of me there, and then tag you on facebook and write in the caption, "Oops, you weren't there!"
BAhahahaha!

lindsey said...

I have a hard time spending money in general.. There are several things I'd like for Mayan, so i search and search for them on CL and then rationalize spending even when I get an awesome deal. I was using my babysitting money on those items, but now that I don't have that and Christmas to use I need to come up with something else... I'd use my birthday but I think I will wait until I am thinner and get clothes :)

Unknown said...

I just want to say that Wicked is absolutely fantastic (and this from someone who saw Phantom 7 times). It is totally worth no fast food. Good luck!