4.20.2010

Bloomin' in My Garden!

My sister-in-law Katie loves to grow flowers! She does a very good job! My little girls love that Katie does a very good job! They also love that Katie sometimes lets them pick some of her flowers (or sometimes just has them picked whether she wants them picked or not).

On the sidebar of her blog she always has a collection of pictures entitled "Bloomin' in my Garden". They are full of beautiful pictures of beautiful flowers.

As I was grilling burgers last night on the patio I looked around my back yard and took note of all the flowers I had successfully grown and were "Bloomin' in my Garden" and decided to take some pictures of them and post them here on my blog in honor of Katie!

Without further ado... I present:

BLOOMIN' IN AUDRA'S GARDEN:

Dandelion: Taraxacum officinale



I am quite proud of these! I have not only succeeded in growing an abundant amount of these strikingly beautiful yellow flowers. But I have also succeeded in keeping them exceedingly healthy until they reached their mature/ seeding state!

Wild Strawberry: Fragaria virginiana


My strawberries have been quite abundant this year! They have produced many pure white flowers and deep crimson fruit.

Thistle: Cirsium vulgare

I suppose I can not take full credit for the hardiness of my thistles this year. Basically, my thistle patch resides next to my air conditioning unit hidden on the side of my house and sometimes they are forgotten. But miracles of miracles, here they are this year, healthy and strong, with stems the size of your wrist. Eeyore would be proud! They are flanked by an impressive array of waist high brown grasses.
Azalea: Rhododendron periclymenoides


The azaleas are in full bloom and what could be prettier? My beautiful Azalea is doing well among it's well-maintained bed of displaced mulch, broken fence pieces, and firewood.

The Hillside Flower Bed


All I can say is variety, variety, variety. I have beautiful flowering Vinca Ivy inter-dispersed with large-woody plants with dainty soft pom-poms on the end. As well as strong hearty briers (the guardians of the Flowers) that tower over their dainty yellow sun-colored wards.

The Backyard Wildlife


Of course every back yard garden has its share of wild visitors! Especially the ever-so-helpful caterpillar.
Pansy:Viola wittrockiana


My pansies have reached a point where they are now delicately dropping over the side of their pots. A cascade of purple, green, and brown.
Thanks for visiting my garden! Did you like it?

8 comments:

Katie said...

HAHAHAHA! I love it! Really, I do. Your pictures are beautiful, even if you are just joking around!

Katie said...

And I really love the guardians of the flowers bit. Perfection.

Ashley said...

LOL, love it! I think my kids think dandelions are the prettiest flower of all because they just make such a pretty yellow blanket against the green grass. My kids were disappointed when the lawn got mowed, but the dandelions popped back up within a few days! And we've got some random purple flowers growing too and since my favorite color is purple they love to pick them for me!

Peggy Snow Cahill said...

Gorgeous garden you have there! My biology teacher used to say a weed is merely an "undesirable plant" and if we desire it, no plant is a weed...I know God loves all of his creations! And thanks for the laugh, you are some kind of witty!

Christie said...

Love it! Can you eat wild strawberries? I wish something like that grew wild in our yard instead of the vining stuff with yellow flowers that we've got.

Audra said...

No eating wild strawberries! They look cute, but they are teenie and unedible. I think. My mom told me not to eat em, so I never tried em.

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

You make me happy!

Christie said...

http://www.chop.edu/service/poison-control-center/resources-for-families/berries-and-seeds.html

Apparently your mom was just erring on the safe side.