5.05.2009

Happy Birthday Ruby-doo!

She is the big:


7


today!



Happy Birthday



Princess Ruby!



I like to decorate their rooms for their birthday while they sleep so they wake up with the "this is my special day" feeling!

Since everyone has had a birthday since being home from Ethiopia, for this upcoming year (we sort of start "the birthday year" with Ruby, since 4 of the birthdays are in May and June) we are not going to do presents. Just a special event for each kid for their birthday! Tomorrow we are going to Monkey Joes (a infatable type place). Ruby picked! She is very excited. I decided to not do toys because, #1 They have a TON of toys, #2 We buy them toys at other times during the year and they never go without, #3 Their rooms have been a constant mess lately. I even bought IKEA cubby shelves for them to keep their toys in and they still end up all over the place and #4 They have not been taking care of their toys. Last time they got to buy special toys that they picked out themselves I found one left in the backyard to be chewed up by the dog, one completely lost, one stepped on and broken, one rained on. They have so many toys, once they can take care of what they have better I will re-institute birthday toys.

PLUS, with Christmas toys, Easter toys, vacation toys, bribe toys, just-because toys... they are fine! And the memories of the events will last longer!

So, for Ruby's birthday we are having her choice of dinner (hot dogs), her choice of cake (chocolate and ice cream cake), some party poppers and blowers, twisty straws, and... because I feel like they have to get something special... she wanted a princess cake, so I am baking a round cake and am going to put a nice tiara on it that she can wear! So... if the boys want a Spiderman cake for example, they will have a Spiderman toy on it! I am not completely hearless... and I can not help but spoil them a little!

I will post pics of my cake creation later! In the mean time, here is a very sleepy Ruby:

3 comments:

Ashley said...

That's a really good idea (the no presents thing) Rae asked me the other day when I was going to buy her some more toys and I was like "you don't even play with the toy kitchen that we JUST bought for you". Anyway, Happy Birthday Ruby!!

lindsey said...

lily has so few toys that are age appropriate for her because she plays with other things so much more. She would rather watch our pet snake or the worms we breed for our sugar gliders than play with her toys...

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!!