6.23.2009

The Very Best Fishing Pond!

We went to the mountains last week! Levi went up a day before me with the kids and then I joined them! The kids rode bikes with their cousins, damned up the creek, and built fires. We rode the Kaboda, went on a fun hike, and went fishing!



The best part is... my dad made his biggest pond even better! It was great before, but the cows could get all the way up to the water, so we were always dodging cow pies! Also, there were swampy spring heads that you could not cross so you had to walk around. Not a big deal if it is just me and Levi, but with kids all the way around the pond, it is nice to not have to walk all the way around the pond to get to the kids who is only 10 feet away... you just want get through the swamp!



Look...

Isn't it pretty?! There are rocks by the front you can sit on, it looks so pretty, there is penty of fish, no trees to get your line stuck in, and best of all... no poop!

The sitting rocks are basically where I park myself the entire time replacing worms, fixing snapped lines, and re-working bobbers! And I was on picture duty! We took pictures of almost every fish the kids caught! That was part of the fun... getting the trophy shot!

Ruby caught the first, and the biggest fish, of the entire trip!

This cat fish was HEAVY and was 25 inches long! Ruby was so proud!

Lettie's first catch!

Yonas' catch! But not his first! I accidentally killed his first... therefore a picture was not taken! I will not go into details... let's just say I feel really bad about it!

Dad and Silas!

Callie entertaining herself by climbing the fence and playing in the van and eating everyones snacks while they were not looking!

My silly girl! She thinks she is so funny! Lettie looking peaceful in her "lucky fishing hat"! She forgot it the 2nd day and was so dissapointed!

The guys across the way!
Nolan waiting for his dad to be done fixing his pole!
Silas... the cutie fisherman!

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn... the Ethiopian version!

Jovie's first catch with her daddy! She wanted to fish so bad, then Levi sat down with her and they were raking them in... like 5 in a row!
Jovie all snuggled in and ready to catch fish with daddy!
Levi coaxing the girls trying to get them to touch the fish! They would touch the fish and the SQUUUEEEEAAAL! I wish I had a video on it!
Nolan the nut showing off his fish!
Lettie flinching from the floppy fish!
The proud Ruby!
Silas' HUGE catfish! It was a little over 20 inches long!
Silas still did not want to touch it!
I NEVER got to fish! I just sat and did worms and hooks! Then I decided to try a lure for a little while. I ended up catching about 6 bass in a row! This was my biggest one! I am quite proud of it!
Nolan caught the only catfish in this pond (this is the smaller pond on my dad's Laurel Fork farm). The thing I am proud of is that he decided he would hold this catfish all by himself. Catfish are scary to hold... and this one was heavy! What a brave dude!
After Lettie saw Nolan's bravery she decided she wanted to hold a fish too! But we were packing up. And I could not catch a fish for her to save my life. But I kept trying and finally caught a bass (the best kind of fish for a kid to hold... does not sting and is not too pokey). She was so proud!
We are a fishing family!

7 comments:

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Can I come next time? I know where I want to spend my summers.

lindsey said...

Oh man as soon as I saw the that you went to your parents I was so jealous. I loved it up there.

Olivia Carter said...

That catfish is huge! That looks like so much fun- can I come and visit and go fishing?

Audra said...

It would be a long drive... but come on! It is a nice relaxing vacation! We love to go there and just chill!

Ashley said...

That looks like so much fun! Someday we'll go to the mountains with you!

Christie said...

I'll always be glad I got to go up there summer of 2001 so I feel like I know the place. It's funny how many of our family have been up there now.

C. Leah said...

How fun Audra!! I want to take my boys fishing someday. Looks like your kids loved every minute!