4.22.2009

My Head is Going to EXPLODE...


And they are all existing just to drive me MAD!

I could first feel the migraine coming on when I was talking to the architect.


-You may need another bathroom
-No... nevermind you don't
-But you might need drains, so you may need to cut up your floors
-Code might get you on this one
-You may need a 3 bin sink with drain boards, but I'm not sure
-You want to make sure your tables are right
-I would be worried about your permitting issue
-Health Department is a bear to work with
-If you think the Health Department is bad, you should see how hard it is to deal with code
-This will take 3-4 weeks to draw up if you need them
-Then there is permitting and they always kick back plans 2-3 times
-We have to contract the engineering out, it takes longer
-....

There was more... and I could feel my brain screaming to get out!...

Then I go to the county and the good news is... I got the permitting issue cleared up in 30 seconds. The bad news is... when I first called one department apparently does not know what the other departments do, so they told me it could take a lot longer and that I needed more thing, so I wasted 3 days trying to figure it out over the phone and gathering 30+ documents until someone said, "If you show up, then you can get it ironed out easier, EVERYBODY is in the same building!"


Then I talk to code:


Do I need plans drawn up?

Answer from Code Enforcement Person 1: No, no problem. Just get the electrician to draft up his plans and the plumber to draft up his, bring them in and that's it.


Me: Whew!


Answer from 2nd Code Enforcement guy who was walking by: If she is the first tenant and this was pulled for mercantile then she needs to have plans drawn up to change the occupancy. She needs an architect (not what I wanted to hear BTW).

Person 1: I think he is right.


Me: Can you ask someone else so I can make SURE he is right before spending thousands on plans I do not need.

Person 1: I think he is right, he has been here longer than me.

Then he proceeds with:

-You might need drains (drains! seriously! Is that all you people think about?)
-Health inspection may get you on this
-You need to confirm the type of sink you need
-I have no clue what size water heater you need
-I have no idea about the Americans with Disabilities Act, but you DO need a section of counter only 30 inches high, but you need to look up those laws
-We need to approve these plans before issuing permits... which will take more time
-...and of course there is more... sigh... THEN...


He turns me over to the health department inspector. A nice guy! Reminds me of a co-worker at James City. Somehow he is a hippy-type (though too young for an actual hippy) that works for the government. He looked like a Bee-Gee.


Him: You don't need to see me! If you are a ice cream shop then you just fall under department of agriculture.

Me: Then can I pick your brain about some stuff.


Him: Sure


Then I find out:
-It does not matter what kind of hot water heater I need
-It does not matter about my sink, just as long as I think it is adequate (what that means, I have no clue)
-I probably do not need drains, unless I just think they are a fabulous must-have accessory to my back room and in case I want sewage to back up on my floor
-There are so many more pieces of equipment I would have to buy if I wanted to do hot-dogs (which I do not)

I also went by a restaurant supply store where the guy tried to sell me burgundy polka dot booths, and told me I really should be putting my whole operation in a trailer and do carnival gigs.


So, I spent the entire afternoon fighting a migraine. And I NEVER get migraines. But honestly, I went back and forth so much my head was exploding.

Today shall be spent calling the people to clear up the "you might needs" and the "I'm not sure, buts...", hopefully signing my lease...

and trying to keep my sanity while all the while trying very hard to convince my brain that exploding might not be the best idea!

This poicture is the best deptiction of my state of mind...



The long and short of it is... opening a small business is a pain in the butt... but...

The business is going to be awesome!!!

And it is a bit of a blessing in disguise! If I open mid June instead of mid May, I do not have to worry about what to do with my babies for a month and things will not be so stressful.

No comments: