2.12.2010

Valentine's Day is HARD WORK!

OK... only 3 of my kids are in school right now... but getting all those Valentines ready was exhausting! And 2 are home schooled! What if all 5 had to do them?!?

The good news... I bought some Valentines end-of-season last year and the kids LOVED them... so I did not even need to buy some!

The bad news... they were "make-your-own" kits, so they had to put them together!

The good news... they really enjoyed doing it.

The bad news... it really made a mess, took a long time, and after an hour they were over it.

The good news... I had some easy Pirates ones that they wanted to give the boys in their classroom.

The bad news... I had to put the little tattoos in them and sometimes the Valentines would rip and it was just cumbersome for the mommy!

The good news... the kids are old enough to write the names themselves.

The bad news... there are 3 of them, 1 of me, and they seemed to be impatient that I could not get the tattoos in them as fast as they were writing the names.

The good news... Nolan is a doll and sat right down and helped Ruby out with hers the whole time. They were a cute team! And the babies stayed away which is a modern-day miracle!

The other good news... they had a lot of fun and I had a really good time with them (once I gave them the "how many kids are there? how many mommies are there? Cut me some slack!" speech!) They would all ask me to do things at the same time and did not seem to understand I could not do 3 things at once for their valentines AND make dinner at the same time! Ha!

Here they are with their supplies spread out!
Lettie's teacher did not send a name list home... she just told you how many boys and how many girls! The woman is a genius!!!

Ruby looking over the name list as Nolan licks an envelope. Good thing their handwriting looks the same (very messy). You could not tell who wrote which! They would each talk about who they were making valentines for and cross the names off the list. Talk about cooperation.
Silas took his work very seriously and he was very thoughtful about which Valentine he picked out for which person. He is a sweetie!

5 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh so cute!

Unknown said...

i remember well all those years of lining up the 6 kids and having them sign their names 22 times on store-bought valentines---i was never clever or ambitious enough to do handmade!

Katie said...

I can't even imagine! It took FOREVER to get Colin's done, and he only has 16 other kids in his class. The teacher didn't send a list home (I am sure she didn't even think about it with Chinese New Year going on) and Colin just spelled everyone's name the way he thought it should be, which made for some very interesting words. We couldn't remember everyone so we had to watch the video on their performance.

I love Ruby and Nolan working together. You have such great kids. Loved the post.

Christie said...

LOL...I just started saying the "How many kids are there? How many mommies are there?" thing this week! And I've only got 3. I think Elizabeth understood, though.

Grandma in the middle said...

I always ask my students to not put names on the Valentines. It goes a lot faster. Plus, 5th graders should be old enough to make their own list if they really want to put names on them. And I just bought mine for next year at 50% off. I have a special cupboard in the classroom to keep them so I don't forget where I put them when next year comes around. I just hope I am teaching close to the same grade next year!