2.13.2009

The Bionic Man

So, the actual surgery part went well for Levi! He says he feels improvement already and he does not have pain radiating down his arm and numbness as before. The only problem is, when he came out of anestesia he was so loopy that when asked if he had a lot of pain he said yes, so they pumped him full of narcotics that make him REALLY sick. We were not expecting that so we did not think to warn them that it makes him violently ill! So he could not hold anything down. Plus, the hospital told Levi it was outpatient, but it wasn't, and since he was sick I needed to stay with him for longer than I anticipated. So the babysitting had to be worked out last minute, but it worked out really well and my kids were excited to spend time with Aunt Katie and to dote on Baby Oliver and then they were excited to be reunited with my friends Brandy and 'Mr. E' who watching my kids while we went to Ethiopia. They like to climb all over Mr. E.

Our first nurse was not very helpful and at one point it took them 45 minutes to come in after the nurse button was pushed. And he was violently ill, so I was afraid to leave him. But the second shift nurse was fabulous and went out of her way to make sure he got the right anti-nausea medicines and was comfortable before her shift ended. She was awesome! I was there from 5:30 am to 8:00. When I left he was able to walk the halls and hold down his food and I called a little while ago and he sounded good! So he will probably be home tomorrow morning!

If you want to see what the procedure was like, go here.

The illustrations make me laugh because at the end when they are showing the drill and the plate it looks like a Home Depot "how to install a cabinet door" illustration or something!

The one thing that I think is funny is that he may now from time to time set off metal detectors. When this happens the doctor said he just needs to show them his scar and tell them he had a fusion and it would be all good! Hopefully they will not suspect he has an impanted explosive device! Maybe I should go behind him through the detector muttering "I want my phone call!" Or maybe I have just been watching a little too much Dark Knight:

Warning: Violent PG-13 content




Sorry, I just could not resist throwing in the Batman reference. Man, I love that movie!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm glad it went well! Poor guy - so many problems at age 30!

Christie said...

As soon as I read that he was loopy and said he was in pain I knew he was in for trouble! Poor Levi has the chance for such great pain meds but can't tolerate them. I'm sure Seth wouldn't mind if you send any leftover/unneeded Rx meds his way ;P

Ashley said...

Seth is going to get as tired of the prescription jokes as Chad did with the Monopoly joke :)

James said...

Not if he runs with the Joker thing! Or goes around the house doing the $6 Million Man sound effects.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I hope he's doing well now and at home. I'm so sorry he's having such a hard time and things get lot better now!