3.07.2008

I sent Harry Potter to school!!!

Today was a reading celebration at Nolan's school! They celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday they were supposed to bring their favorite book. Of course Nolan brought Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Yep, we are already on the 3rd book! For those who do not know we read Harry Potter whenever he gets a happy face. I do not know who is more anxious for him to get a happy face... me or him! Thursday was hat day and he wore a cool dragon hat. And today, Friday, was dress as your favorite book character day. Which of course for Nolan was... Harry Potter! But I had NOTHING! And I kept forgetting to ask around to borrow something from other people (I know at the ward Halloween party there were PLENTY of Harry Potters). So, what is a mom to do?

Well, I told Nolan he was going to be Harry when he is home with the Dursley's, so that took care of tracking down robes. He had some of those Coke bottle fake "nerd" joke glasses. So I took them, sawed through the rims with a kitchen knife (quite an undertaking), took the middles out, and hot glued them back together. A little eyeliner and I made the scar. Then I spiked his hair and messed it up in typical Harry Potter fashion. The only problem is... no wand. He at least needed a wand. I could have sent him to school with his own personal Nimbus 2000 (aka my nice feather duster), but I am sure it would come back home missing most of it's emu feathers. See Post. So, I rummaged through my craft drawer, pulled the end off a paint brush, a tah-dah... instant wand!

I thought it turned out pretty good! I felt like a resourceful super-mom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nolan is the best Harry Porter I ever saw! He's better looking than the original.

Good job, Audra! You sound like me! I don't want you to freak out, but when I first met you, Levi said "she's a lot like you". I think it was a compliment!

I love to do things like that. I don't know what I'll do when Bryce isn't around. I love to do things like that on the fly!

Audra said...

No offense at all! Levi told me the same thing, that I was like you and I take that as a compliment :)!!! I wish I was a but more like you! Maybe 7 kids will help :)! You are the bestest mother in law!

Jones Family said...

He is so cute! You are such a great mom!

Angela Draper said...

What an adorable Harry Potter! You did a great job with his outfit. Way to be a resourceful mom!

Tracy H. said...

Fantastic job on Nolan's costume! You are just too resourceful and talented for words.