3.01.2009

A Good Idea... in theory!

You know those toll house cookie ice creams?
2 cookies with vanilla ice cream in the middle?

That was the concept for Callie's birthday cake! It was a good idea... a good concept... but...

Anyway, I made 2 HUGE cookies in an 8 inch cake pan. Basically I made one batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies and put half in each cake pan. Then I took vanilla ice cream that was softened on the way home from the store and made an ice cream sandwich...




Then I put it in the freezer to re-freeze!
Then I took it out of the freezer and frosted it in real whipped cream (they did not have Cool Whip at Sam's Club... plus real Whipped Cream is divine!)
Then I used Chocolate chips to write Callie's name on the cake!
Then I refroze it to set the icing!
Look great... problem is... the cookie was ROCK HARD! I could not even put a candle in it, so I had to cleverly arrange the candles on the side of the cake under the whipped cream! And then when I went to cut it the ice cream and whipped cream already softened... but not the cookie! So, in the process of cutting the cookie, the ice cream squished out the sides and the whipped cream rolled off the cake... and the kids were trying to stab their forks into the cookie and all they were getting is a hard thud sound! The only way to eat it was to pick it up with your hands with ice cream dripping down and bit into it! The only redeeming thing is when you did this is tasted SO GOOD! These cookies are really good out of the oven, cut into triangles and served with ice cream... they just do not work frozen! I know what you are thinking... 'duh Audra'... I just really did not think about it!
Have you ever done something where it seemed like a good idea until you did it and then you thought... "how did I not realize it was going to turn out this way?"
Here is a picture of the final carnage! It was hopeless at this point so I threw the leftovers away! Levi says in order to not make the cookie rock hard when it is frozen I need to use trans fats. So, I suppose I will just have to not try this ever again... haha!

2 comments:

whoopsadasie said...

Good idea...bad results! I bet it was DELISH though!!

I used to make something similar to that when my kids where younger. I used the recipe it gave me for the cookie and it turned out fine! Don't have any idea where that recipe is now though!! Too bad...otherwise, I would give you it!

Angela Draper said...

I love it! I probably would have done the same thing. But hey it was delicious, so who can complain?! :)