3.06.2009

Hooray for the Loose Tooth!

Finally! Nolan lost a tooth! Poor thing was always asking, "Mom! When am I going to lose a tooth?" All his friends at school were losing teeth and he seemed to be the only one with all teeth intact. Then I was thinking this week, "If Nolan does not lose a tooth soon, I may have to take him to the dentist and make sure something is not wrong!" I have heard of kids needing their teeth pulled so the permanent teeth can come in. So I called Nolan over and said, "Let me see if you have any lose teeth" and sure enough it wiggled! I told him to keep wiggling it and by the next day it was very lose and it made it painful to eat. So... I tried my mom's magic string trick...

So... all mothers of kids in the teeth losing stage... here is my mom's magic string trick for painless tooth removal!

If the tooth is so lose that you can slip a string under the ridge of the tooth near the gums, then you can use this trick. You loop to string (or floss) around the tooth. My mom ties a knot (I just cross it over in case it is not ready, you can remove the string easily). Once the string is in place you tighten the knot (or tighten the crossed strings around the tooth), and the tooth will painlessly pop out!

Somehow it seems to separate the skin from the root as it works it's way down the root and in a blink of an eye the tooth is out!

My mom did not learn this anywhere... she came up with it herself... she just thought it made sense! And boy does it work! Nolan and I just stared at each other in shock when his tooth popped out!

(I will do another post sometime where I will draw a diagram for you of how this works in case you need more instruction. I remember when my mom told me about it, I thought it was an unusual way to go about getting a tooth and and 'surely this is not painless'... but it is and it is wonderful)

If anyone comes across this post and it works for them, please comment do me a favor and comment and tell me how it went after you tried it! I would love to know if it works as well for others!

The proud toothless boy!



The tooth had quite a root on it, I was surprised!




Now he can drink out of a straw without opening his teeth! (Look at those fabulous eyes)



The loose tooth! Before Judy's Magic String!

The tooth fairy booty! He for 3 gold $1 coins and boy did he think that was awesome that they were gold! That is my Tooth Fairy tradition!

3 comments:

lindsey said...

thats crazy that he hadn't lost any teeth yet since katie just posted about colin losing teeth... btw nolan looks more mature in these pictures. its crazy how fast they grow.

whoopsadasie said...

I have heard of that before. I think my DH used it on one of our kids. I just wasn't down with that part of raising them! LOL!

Katie said...

Colin has another loose tooth and says he is going to let me try this.