1.21.2009

Inauguration Day!

I watched the Inauguration... and although I am a "yellow dog Republican", as my mom would say, I really was not sad. It is an amazing day to see an African American leading our nation. I sat at the lunch table with my multi-colored brood and just smiled at the thought that America is getting better every generation. Every generation gets more and more color-blind, and that is important for my kids and for our family!

Also, I want change too! I hope it is the right kind of change! I would like to see the education system fixed, the unemployment situation fixed, and I would like to see the war drawn to a peaceful close! How that should be done? I don't know. Hopefully Barack Obama and his people have some good ideas! Hope... that is the key word... we just have to hope it will get better!

Now, I do have to mention one thing that made me smile- The Oath of Office! It ended up getting all messed up and I do think the Chief Justice is the one who flubbed the lines, which messed up President Obama, but it just made me smile that for once something involving Barack Obama was not "perfect":



There are seriously people who think this mad can do no wrong! I think he is a great guy and all, but he is... gulp... human... gasp!

And I do have to laugh that his middle name is Hussein... because... come on, we just captured, tried, and killed the most notorious Hussein and you know all those crazy e-mail sending conspiracy theorists that send out those crazy e-mails saying Barack Obama is Muslim are shaking their heads as he says his full name: I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear...
So, I am laughing at the e-mail senders, not President Obama... basically I am laughing at ignorance!

I went into the gas station the other day and there was a HUGE rack of Obama t-shirts that had his face really big on it and it said in big gold hip-hop type letters "THE CHOSEN ONE!" It made me giggle.

The only thing that makes me happy about that, is most shirts in that "style" have someone like Biggie, Tupac, or 50 cent. People you do not want the youth of our country to be looking up to! People who say demeaning things about women, talk of drug use, and violence. The fact that a lot of these shirts now sport pictures of Obama is funny in some ways, but then on the flip side it is nice to know that this is who youth are starting to look up to and that is a step in the right direction!

Let freedom ring and let GOOD change come!

(And in case you are wondering, according to my mom a "yellow dog republican" is someone who would vote republican even if a yellow dog was running or a "yeller dog republican" if I was to say it right... very southern... I know... what can I say?!

Oh, and I found a blogger who wrote this:
"I’m a Yellow Dog Republican. If the Republicans put up a mangy yellow dog for president, I’d vote for it. In fact, I’d prefer a dog to a human being because Congressional Republicans would have more control over the dog."

I thought that was funny and worth sharing!)

4 comments:

Christie said...

I enjoyed watching the inauguration for the historic aspect of it all and just for the reassurance that this is the United States of America and there are a lot of checks and balances and hopefully Yes We Can survive the next 4 years.
Here's my favorite quote I picked up on the internet:
I say this prayer regularly:

"May Barrack Obama and Joe Biden live happily and healthily for the next four years....May Nancy Pelosi never ever, ever, EVERRR become president of the US. (Did I mention ever?)"

Katie said...

I feel the exact same way about a generation of kids now being able to look up to someone who is is African American, extremely educated, and our PRESIDENT rather than those other guys who would normally be on those t-shirts. That is what was most exciting to me about yesterday.

And amen to the "human" comment. I almost become ill when I was watching Oprah last Friday and they were just gushing and gushing about how the world was going to change now. You know I like me some Oprah,and I am genuinely excited to see what Obama's presidency might hold, but it was so over the top, and coming from a group of celebrities that are completely out-of-touch with what it means to be a normal American. Let's step back, get some perspective, and give the guy some room people!

whoopsadasie said...

Twin here to cj, the purple diva...

I watched the inauguration the other day...more for the historic side...b/c I did not vote for him!

Did you hear that they had to redo the swearing in last night b/c of how they messed it up!

I hope these next four years go by fast!

Angela Draper said...

I also enjoyed watching the inauguration for the same reasons as you did and I love the "yellow dog" comment. I will have to share that with my dad. He would get a kick out of it.