1.17.2009

MY BAINT-IT!

So... Callie now has a "thing", a "lovie", a "Baint-it"!

What is it?

It is a simple piece of fabric, 1/2 yard wide. She has nice stuffed animals and nice blankets... but no... she likes the simple piece of fabric!

I had 7 different 1/2 yard pieces of fabric because I was using them to make the outside pockets on some church bags I was sewing for the kids. And out of the 7 pieces she picked out the one that was intended for her in the first place. The problem is... she wouldn't give it back! I did not know she was so in love with it until I asked for it back. That is when she first screamed...

"MY BAINT-IT"
(that is Callie-speak for blanket)

and if anyone so much as looked at it as if they wanted to take it she would scream, "NO! MY BAINT-IT", with so much force her voice would crack! The sides are unraveling and I cut a big chunk out of it to color match a piece with some other fabric, but she does not care. She only has eyes for her blanket!

She plays with it like a toy. She fluffs it out and waves it, she balls it up, she runs it through railings and chair arm rests, she puts it around her shoulders, on her lap... it is like a best buddy! She even insisted one day on me putting a piece of string she had found around it, like a necklace or something!

The nice thing is, she loves it, but does not HAVE to have it to fall asleep or just in general! She loves it when she has it, but she does not freak out if she can not find it at the moment. Nolan loved his bear and HAD to have bear to fall asleep!

Since Wal-mart is phasing out their fabric department and that is the only place I think that carried this fabric I stopped by the one across town that is not phasing it out yet (because all the fabric is 50% at ours, so most of it is gone) and picked up another yard and cut her 2 more blankets. I only let her have 1 at a time, but if I lose one I will be covered. And I cut the white part on the side into a bit of fringe and I may sew the sides so it does not unravel.

Who knows, she may get over it! But for now, it is really cute and it gives me good picture taking opportunity!

So, does your kids, or any kids you know or seen, have anything unusual they are attached to? I saw a 3 year old kid in Best Buy the other day with a 1 foot by 1 foot piece of shimmery silky silver fabric. And it was a boy with a very macho looking father. I'm sure his father is thrilled!

Callie doing her "tense" thing! When she is excited she likes to tense up her whole body. It is hilarious!
Even upside down, she has a good hold on her "Baint-it"! See the mysterious floating dinner plate?
Callie with her 2 biggest loves: her daddy & her Baint-it!
I had nothing to do with this! She was playing and playing with it in her crib! She fluffed it out over the side. Layed it on her matress, covered her stuffed animals with it... and then finally pulled it over her shoulders and fell asleep!

8 comments:

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

How dang cute!
My Carmen did this with a t-shirt. She had to have her bio-father's t-shirt! nothing else would work! she had it till it was just a small thread! I think it lasted till she was about 6! When it died, she about died!

Christie said...

Wait, Wal-Mart is getting rid of their fabric? Nooooooooooo!

Audra said...

Yep... at least the ones around here, but I think it may be nationwide eventually. Who knows, they may keep it in small towns where there are no other options.

Katie said...

Cute Callie.

Our Supercenter has never had fabric. SUCKS.

Katie said...

Oh, and I used to babysit a little three year old boy who had a "feefee" that I am pretty sure was an old piece of his mom's underwear.

Christie said...

Maybe we won't move to North Carolina. Have you told my mom? She might regret buying the house now.

Audra said...

I looked it up and it looks like they all are being phased out because they lost a lot of money in that department. It is not even that they did not make as much as they wanted, the really LOST a lot of money... which is sad, but at least I got a lot of good fabric 50% off. Some stores still have it right now, but I think they all are gradually being phased out. We do have Hobby Lobby around here that is not as cheap as Wal-mart, but not as expensive as Hancock. And they have some good quality stuff, so that is good.

whoopsadasie said...

How sweet! My kids all had blankets. Nothing unusual.

Our Wal-Mart's have stopped carrying fabric for a while now. I hate it...I used to get really good deals there. But now I go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and use their coupon.