1.03.2009

Update on my dad!

I probably should have updated earlier, but I kept putting it off!

Behold this picture of my hand holding my dad's hair:
He stopped by right before Thanksgiving and it had been a couple weeks since his first chemo. His hair was thinner and he showed me how it was falling out by pulling a small tuft of hair out. I thought he was giving it a little tug, so I jokingly said, "Let me see!" I barely ran his hair between my finger and thumb and this is what I got! So yeah, he was losing his hair. He shaved it shortly thereafter. But he had yet to lose his eyebrows and mustache! Here he is at that visit:

Here he is the day after Christmas! Yep! The mustache is gone! It is weird for him to be without it! There was only once in my life I saw him without a mustache and that is when he shaved it to play Earnest (as in Earnest goes to camp) for a Stake Road Show. But luckily he has kept his eyebrows (so far)! Lettie thinks it is funny to have a mustacheless grandpa!
So, although it was eventually diagnosed as a Stage III, it was an agressive lymphoma, which is actually better than the non-agressive kind. Apparently if it grows slowly it goes away slowly. If it grows quickly it is so "hungry" it eats up the chemo treatments and dies more easily. So, they thought instead of 6 chemos he would need 8, but he responded so well to it he is only going to have 6! Woo-hoo! He gets sick and lacks energy, but for the most part he is doing well and already has half of it behind him! Thanks everyone for your thought, prayers, and support!

5 comments:

Christie said...

So glad to hear an update! Hope things continue to go well.

Jamie said...

We will keep him in our prayers! Glad to hear he is responding well to treatments!

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

He still looks good and healthy and I am so glad it is going well for him. Continual prayers from here.

Katie said...

Your dad looks really handsome without that mustache (with it too, of course). Glad to hear things are going well.

Angela Draper said...

I'm glad to hear that things are looking optomistic! I hope things continue to only get better :)